We live in a world where travelling can only be allowed if you hold a certain document: A passport.
Nowadays, millions of people use passports to travel abroad. However, when you plan your trip you should make sure that your passport is valid.
Double-check it every time you travel if the passport is fine and that it has not expired. In cases where your passport has expired, you most likely will go through a lot of trouble.
Read this article until the end and find out more about expired passports and whether you can travel with one or not!
Can You Travel With an Expired Passport?
You might think that travelling with an expired passport does not make any sense, and you are right. Travelling with an expired passport is indeed not possible.
For overseas travel, an expired passport is definitely not suitable. Passport holders should immediately renew their passports if it has expired or expires within the next 6 months.
However, chances are that it might be useful in some cases for domestic travel but confirmation has not yet been declared. Domestic travel means travelling within the country. For example, in the USA, a passport is not required yet, but you do need some sort of identification document. It is not specified whether it can be a passport or not but logically an expired passport does not seem suitable.
That being said, if you are flying abroad, do not turn up with an expired passport, as you would be wasting your time. In cases when you can not renew your passport, then our advice to you would be to reschedule your flight.
How to check passport expiration date?
You might think why this question should be asked. There are many people out there who yet don’t know where the expiration date of a passport is located at. Some are just confused by all the data that shows up in that particular passport page.
An expiration date can easily be found at the passport page where all your personal information is written. In most passports, that can be the first page while for some it can be on different pages. Either way, locating the data page is still not difficult.
The personal data page contains your biometric photo which is used to identify you and all your personal information such as full name, date or place of birth, citizenship etc.
The expiry date of the passport is usually found beside the photograph in the bottom right corner.
Can you schedule a flight with an expired passport?
The answer is yes. Booking a flight does not require a passport. But, in cases where you book a flight at the airport or check it in, then there is trouble because you will be asked for your passport information.
You won’t even be allowed to check-in if your passport has expired. Also lying is not an option. If you lie you will only postpone the inevitable and fail to board. You’re not even going to get your boarding compensation declined for that.
How Close to Expiration Can a Passport be Renewed?
There is this 6 months passport rule: six months after your travel date, the countries that implement this rule demand that your passport must be valid.
In some countries, you can remain without a visa for about 3 months. Thus they need your passport to be valid for at least 3 months after your scheduled departure. However, some countries have extended it for passports for up to 6 months.
How to renew an expired passport?
Based on a few factors, the method of renewing your expired passport can differ depending on your age or how long the passport has been expired for. The application process for passport renewal can be done in person, online or by email.
If you live in a European country, then you should contact your embassy or consulate.
If you live in the USA then follow the steps below, however keep in mind that in some cases the steps can be similar to many other countries.
Passport renewal by email
Conditions that your current passport must comply with if you are renewing your passport by email:
- The passport was granted less than 15 years ago
- It has not been damaged
- The age when it was granted to you was over 16 years old
- The passport includes your full name
- You are in possession of your current expired passport
If all those conditions are met, then the steps are as follows:
- Have a downloaded version of the application form and also a printed one
- Provide a new passport picture
- Submit papers that confirm your legal name. This can be a certificate of marriage or divorce.
- Pay the fee for passport renewal
Applying for passport renewal in person
In most cases, applying online or by email is not highly recommended. Sometimes you will still need to be present in person at an embassy or consulate.
- If you are applying in person keep a note of the following:
- If the passport is damaged in any way then you will have to apply for a new passport
- If the passport was granted around 15 years ago then you will need to go to the passport agency
- If you are 16 years old or under then you must apply in person.
If you are looking to renew your passport as quickly as possible then this will depend on your application. Sometimes they offer you the option to apply for expedited passports, meaning that they can be issued within 2 weeks. However, the faster you want your passport the more it will cost you.
Documents required for passport renewal
- Application form
- Evidence of citizenship
- The copy of the citizenship evidence
- An identity document which can be ID or driver’s license
- A copied version of the ID document
- A biometric photograph
- Fee which can be in a cheque or money order
General requirements for passport photos
A passport photo has some requirements that must be met in order for your passport to be approved by the relevant authorities. If the passport photo is not done correctly, then chances are that your passport application will be rejected.
Keep in mind that each country has its own passport photo requirements, but below we will write down for you some general ones. If you want to know the photo requirements of a particular country, then you should check out our application on google play and app store or web service Passport-Photo.online.
General requirements for passport photos are as follows:
- The photo must be in color, however, there are some countries that allow them to be black and white but it is not recommended.
- The photo must be recent and not an old one. Also if your image has changed then you should apply for a new one.
- Most accessories such as sunglasses or headgear are not allowed. But, for religious purposes, they do allow headgear.
- The background must be in plain color. No shadows or other obstacles should be present in the background.
- The size in height and width will vary depending on your country passport requirements.
- The quality and resolution of the photo should be high.
- The photo can absolutely not be edited digitally. Editing photos will be immediately rejected
- Photo must not be damaged in any way such as having stains etc.
- The facial expressions should be neutral. No smiles are allowed and the face should frontally face the camera.
How long does it take to renew a passport?
A passport renewal process can depend on several factors. In most cases, the process takes around 6 to 8 weeks.
You should request an in-person request if you have an emergent matter that needs an urgent renewal for foreign travel. However, keep in mind that it will cost you extra.
Where can I renew my passport?
Passport renewal can be done in a few places such as the local passport office and leave an appointment with the national passport information centre.
Once the application has been completed you will have to wait for it to be processed and approved by the acceptance center.