What to Do if Your Passport Is Stolen

What Should You Do When Your U.S. Passport Was Stolen?

Oh no! Your U.S. passport was stolen. Your gut told you to avoid that crowded outdoor market, but you visited it anyway, and now your passport is gone. You’re flying back home in two weeks and are beginning to panic that your vacation is ruined. Take a deep breath, and don’t worry; the process of getting your passport replaced is not complicated.

Continue reading our handy guide to find out, “What to do if your passport is stolen?” Whether you’re traveling abroad or have had your passport stolen in the U.S., we’ve got all the information you need to get you traveling again.

Passport photo in 3s!

Take a photo with your smartphone, upload it to the website, we will convert it to an official passport photo and send you a digital or printed version. Simple? You can’t get more convenient than that!

passport photo editor

What to do if your passport is stolen–while abroad

Stolen U.S. passports must be replaced before returning to the United States. To start the replacement process, make an appointment with the consular section of the nearest American embassy or consulate in the country you are visiting.

If you have been the victim of a serious crime, be sure to report the specifics to the consulate officer, as they can provide an appropriate level of assistance based on individual circumstances. 

Find out more about passports from these articles:

What to do if your passport is stolen–while abroad: necessary documents

When visiting the embassy or consulate, you must provide documents to prove your identity and U.S. citizenship. Listed below, you can find all the documents you need to get your new passport:

  • proof of identity (e.g., state-issued driver’s license, expired passport, etc.)
  • proof of citizenship (e.g., photocopy of the photo page of your stolen passport, birth certificate, etc.)
  • flight or train tickets 
  • police report (provided one was filed; a police report is not mandatory)
  • form DS-11 (may be filled out during consular visit)
  • form DS-64 (can be completed during consular visit)
  • A passport photo adhering to U.S. government standards.

Don’t worry if you do not have all the required documents. Consular staff will do their best to provide you with a new U.S. passport as quickly as possible despite any missing documents.

What to do if your passport is stolen–while abroad: replacement passport

Once all the forms have been submitted, a replacement U.S. passport will be issued in time for your travel back to the United States. The replacement will cost the same as applying for a new American passport in the U.S. (e.g., $130 for the standard passport book) and have updated validities: (10) ten years for adults; (5) five years for minors.

In extreme circumstances (e.g., you are the victim of a serious crime, natural disaster, etc.), the consulate may waive or postpone the fee until you have returned to American soil.

In cases where travel is imminent, and there is insufficient time to process the replacement passport, a limited-validity, emergency passport will be issued. This passport will allow you to continue your trip and can later be exchanged for a regular U.S. passport once you have returned to the United States.

Find out more about dealing with lost or stolen passports in the following articles:

What to do if your passport is stolen–in the U.S.

In case of theft in the U.S., your first course of action is to report the passport stolen to the U.S. Department of State. It is essential you do this as soon as possible. Otherwise, your passport may be used to steal your identity and/or commit felonies in your name.

If you want to report your U.S. passport stolen, you can do so online by following the application wizard in the link. It will guide you through the process and let you apply for a new passport if you wish to do so.   

Alternatively, a person can also report passport theft in the following two ways:

  • By calling the National Passport Information Centre at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 for teletypewriter services). You will still need to fill out Form DS-64 if you wish to apply for a new passport.
  • By mailing Form DS-64, including a photocopy of the front and back of your state-issued I.D., to:
    U.S. Department of State
    44132 Mercure Cir
    P.O. Box 1227
    Sterling, VA 20166-1227

What to do if your passport is stolen–child’s passport

Children, who are traveling abroad with or without their parents, must follow the same steps as U.S. adult citizens if their passports become lost or stolen. The closest U.S. consulate or embassy will assist young travelers with getting an emergency replacement passport even in situations where they are scheduled to travel internationally in the coming weeks.

The same supporting documents (as listed in the necessary documents section above) are required to submit an application for a replacement passport. As with adult applications, consular officers will do their best to resolve the situation, even if all supporting documents are not available.

Children, who have had their passports stolen on U.S. soil, must notify the authorities the same way as adults: online, by mail, or by calling the appropriate official government organization.

Passport Photo Online –passport photos delivered to your hotel

You must be certain your passport photos are the correct size when submitting an application for an emergency passport. Trust that Passport Photo Online will get the high-quality passport photos you need; delivered directly to your home or hotel room.

You don’t have to book appointments with photographers or wait in line at the photo booth; use our convenient smartphone application to quickly get the right-sized photos.

Getting your U.S. passport stolen is stressful enough – let us take the stress out of getting passport photos.

What to do if your passport is stolen: FAQ

Read the FAQ section below to find answers related to this topic.

What do I do if my passport was stolen?

If you are traveling abroad, contact the U.S. embassy/consulate. They will guide you through the process of getting a replacement passport. If the theft occurred in the United States, contact the National Passport Information Center (the address and phone number are listed above).

Can someone use my stolen passport?

Yes, they can. It is important to report your stolen passport to the appropriate authorities, as a stolen passport can be used to access your bank accounts. Criminals can also use it for identity theft and to travel under a fake name.

 Can you track a stolen passport?

No, It is not currently possible to track your stolen U.S. passport. Your best bet is to report the passport lost or stolen and visit a passport agency to receive a replacement as soon as possible.

What to do if your passport is stolen–summary

Your plan of action will differ depending on whether your passport was stolen while traveling abroad or at home in the U.S. If you are currently traveling outside of the United States, contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country you are currently in – depending on your travel itinerary, they will guide you through the process of getting an emergency or replacement passport.

If your passport was stolen in the U.S., contact the Department of the State as outlined in this blog post. You then need to get your hands on a passport photo and submit a new passport application.

Passport theft happens to the best of us. Let us make your passport photos stress-free so you can get back to traveling. 


Rate my article:

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.