Lost Passport Application – The Ultimate How-To Guide

A blue passport and a young man in a blue shirt who is worrying about his lost passport and a title “Lost passport application”

Have you lost your passport and areuncertain about what to do next? What is the procedure in regard to lost or stolen passports?

We’ll cover the topic thoroughly and answer all the questions you might have on lost passport applications. You will learn what to do immediately after your passport is lost and how this application procedure differs from a regular passport application.

Lost passport application – a quick guide

First of all, before you apply for a new passport make sure to search thoroughly to be absolutely certain that your current passport hasn’t just been misplaced by accident.

Double-check every place you’d normally store your passport in and only when you’re sure it is gone for good, you should begin the application process.

The first thing you need to do is report the loss of your passport to the U.S. Department of State. They need to learn of the loss as soon as possible. 

There are 3 (three) ways you can go about it:

  • Submit an online report using the link provided on the official government website – It will allow you to not only declare the passport as lost through Form DS-64 but also provide you with Form DS-11, all in one go.
  • Report by mail – You’re supposed to download, print and complete Form DS-64 and send it by mail to the U.S. Department of State, and more specifically, the  Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit. The exact address will be shown on the application form.
  • Report via a telephone call – You can call either  1-877-487-2778 or  1-888-874-7793 and explain your situation. (Remember that later, when issuing a replacement passport you will need to complete Form DS-64 as well as DS-11.)

If you’re abroad, ideally you would turn to the local U.S. embassy or consulate to handle passport-related matters in the most efficient manner, including reporting a lost or stolen passport. The employees at the embassy or consulate will be able to help you with every part of the procedure from start to finish, which makes matters very convenient as opposed to calling one of the numbers provided above.

Time-wise, reporting a lost passport will either take up to 24 (twenty-four) hours or no time at all if you inform the U.S. Department of State about the loss through email or by phone. Sending Form DS-64 through mail can take up to 2 (two) weeks until it arrives at its destination.

Replacing a lost U.S. passport

To replace a lost passport you would have t0 submit Form DS-11 in person.

If you’re planning international travel within the next 5 (five) or 7 (seven) weeks you will be able to schedule a meeting and attend it within 5 (five) business days from the flight.

If your upcoming flight happens later than within the next 7 (seven) weeks, you will be required to go through a regular passport application process at a passport acceptance facility.

Finally, if you’re abroad and have lost your passport, a replacement could be issued at a local U.S. embassy or consulate.

Lost U.S. passport application – Form DS-64

The proper formin a situation where you cannot find your passport and wish to inform proper authorities is Form DS-64.

It is available for download on the official U.S. Department of State website and includes a very convenient and detailed guide on the process of reporting lost passports.

It also contains one page on which you’re supposed to provide key information about your identity.

  • your full name;
  • your new name (if your name has changed since your most recent passport was issued);
  • your date of birth along with place of birth;
  • social security number;
  • your current address;
  • means of communication including your phone number or email address.

You’re also required to go into detail and explain the circumstances surrounding the loss of your passport, including:

  • if a police report has been filed;
  • where the passport was stolen or lost;
  • the presumed date of when the passport was stolen or lost;
  • detailed information about the passport including document number and date of issue.

Lost U.S. passport application – minors

The form you need to file before you issue a new passport for your child is exactly the same as that for adults. You are required to fill out Form DS-64 if your child’s passport is lost.

Only after you’ve contacted the appropriate entity and informed the U.S. Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit about the lost document, can you begin attempting to get your child a new passport at the passport office or a passport agency.

Here are more articles you may find helpful:

Lost Expired Passport – What Should You Do?

Help! I Lost My Passport and I Fly Tomorrow!

I Lost My Passport Abroad – What Should I Do?

Passport photo online – efficient way to get a passport photo for a new passport

If you’ve just lost your U.S. passport you may need to issue a new one soon. One of the requirements for an American passport is a new pair of passport photos and that’s where Passport-Photo.Online (PPO) comes in.

Passport photo online is an app you can download to your smartphone where you can upload a photo of yourself and receive an improved version that will pass muster at the passport acceptance facility. It only costs $6.99 to get a perfect passport picture and a promise that it either is deemed acceptable or you will receive a 2x refund. Moreover, you can also get a free passport template printable at any store for less than $1.

Application for a lost passport – summary

To replace a lost passport you must first inform proper authorities of what has happened to your current passport, which means filing Form DS-64 or calling one of the two toll-free numbers (1-877-487-2778 or  1-888-874-7793).

When completing the application documenting the loss of your passport you will be required to write down information confirming your identity.

Lost passport application: FAQ

Here you will find the most important questions about the lost passport application, as well as answers you will find useful if you lose your passport book.

What application should I use if I lost my passport?

To report the loss of your passport you need to use Form DS-64.

What do I do if I have lost my passport?

If you’re certain it is lost, you need to file a report about the loss. In a situation where it was stolen, you should report the theft to the local police. Only after you’ve submitted the right form confirming the lost passport can you apply for a new one.

Do I have to report a lost passport before submitting an application for a passport?

The answer is yes, you need to report the missing passport before you submit an application for a replacement passport book.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.