I Need a Passport ASAP

Traveler in a long coat holding a suitcase on the left; plane against the sky on the right.

Our passport is one of those things that just sits there hidden away at the bottom of some forgotten drawer, and becomes the most urgent matter in the world as soon as we realize that we want or need to travel. Thankfully, if you’ve found yourself in one of those I need a passport ASAP situations, you are one of many and there are a couple of ways to speed up the passport application processing times. We will go over the three most popular passport services that you can opt for if you need to get a passport fast.

Expediting at passport agency/center

Passport services such as emergency or urgent travel passports are handled by regional passport agencies. These are the fastest expedited service options to get your new passport.

Emergency passport

We’ll start with the fastest passport service offered by the Department of State, i.e. the emergency passport. This service is handled by passport agencies and should be selected if you have a “life-or-death emergency” that requires you to leave the country within the next 72 hours (or 3 business days). Situations that fall under the “life-or-death emergency” category are:

  • death of an immediate family member who is outside of the United States,
  • life-threatening illness or injury of an immediate family member.

An immediate family member is a:

  • parent
  • legal guardian
  • child
  • spouse
  • sibling
  • grandparent.

Emergency U.S. passport services are handled by appointment only; you can call and schedule your appointment up to 2 (two) weeks before the date of your travel, but the actual appointment must happen within 3 (three) business days of your date of travel.

To apply for an emergency U.S. passport, you have to follow these steps:

  • Prepare documents that prove your emergency such as a statement from a mortuary, letter from the hospital, or a death certificate (all documentation must be translated to English if applicable).
  • Provide proof of international travel – a travel ticket.
  • Fill out a passport application form – DS-11 or DS-82 (for passport renewals).
  • Prepare supporting documents – proof of citizenship and identity.
  • Take a passport photo.
  • Make sure that your government-issued photo identification document (driver’s license or state ID) is valid.

The passport government fees for the emergency U.S. passport will involve the regular passport application fee of $130 ($30 for a passport card) plus an additional fee of $60.

Passport agencies offer limited appointment availability for these services and you can’t be guaranteed to receive your passport in time for your travel. However, if you provide sufficient proof of your emergency and present your case to the passport agency, they will do their best to assist you and schedule your appointment:

  • Call to make an appointment at 1-877-487-2778/ 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TDD) on Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (ET).
  • After 8:00 pm call 202-647-4000 on Mondays through Fridays, and on Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays.

Urgent travel passport

In the case of this passport, you will also be able to schedule an appointment at a regional passport agency, however be mindful that appointments are limited. You can choose this option if your urgent travel plans don’t involve a family emergency, but instead, you must travel internationally within the next 5 (five) business days.

You will be required to prepare the same paperwork as that from the previous section, with the only difference being your proof of international travel. In this case you will be required to provide proof of urgent, non-emergency business travel such as a travel itinerary/airline ticket and perhaps a letter from your overseas employer stating why you must be present within the next 5 (five) business days.

The arrangements for your appointment may be made within 2 (two) weeks of your travel, however your appointment must happen no more than 5 (five) days of your departure and no more than 10 (ten) days if you require a travel visa.

The urgent travel passport expedited at a passport agency involves a $60 expedite fee and the regular passport application fee of $130 ($30 for a passport card).

To make your appointment, call 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (ET). Appointments cannot be made on the weekends and federal holidays.

Expediting at a passport acceptance facility

This type of expedited passport service is for those who need to get a passport fast, but not immediately. You can opt for this service if the date of your international travel is within 5 (five) to 7 (seven) weeks.

You will be required to:

  • fill out form DS-11 for a new passport or DS-82 for expedited passport renewal,
  • provide proof of citizenship and identity,
  • take a passport photo.

The passport fees for expedited service at an acceptance facility are the regular passport book application fee of $130 ($30 for a passport card) and the expedited passport fee of $60. You will have to make an appointment at one of the acceptance facilities near you and that is also where you’ll pay the passport fees.

Optional expedited delivery

For all of these expedited passport services you can also opt for 1-2 day delivery to speed up the processing times even more. This fast shipping option involves fast delivery from the U.S. Department of State straight to the applicant’s address and costs $18.32.

Expedite your passport photos

If you’re applying for a fast passport service, you’re probably also looking to get your passport photos as quickly as possible. The best way to do this is to use a smart passport photo application that will scan your photos using an AI-based system. This sensitive photo verification system also crops and adjusts your photos to the correct dimensions, replaces the background, and removes shadows.

The Passport Photo Online app is a great option for passport applicants who wish to get their photos quickly and easily, without leaving their home. You can save up to 30% on your passport pictures by ordering digital copies sent to your email for $6.95 or digital copies and printouts for $9.95.

The Passport Photo Online app has been recognized by Forbes, Glamour, National Geographic, and Yahoo! It comes with an acceptance guarantee and a double refund policy in case your photos don’t get accepted by the authorities (but they will!).

I need a passport asap: FAQ

I need a passport asap. What options do I have?

If you need to get your passport as fast as possible and have an emergency situation that requires you to travel internationally within the next couple of days, you can try to apply for an emergency U.S. passport, which is the fastest expedited service for passports.

How much is the passport expedite fee?

The fee for expediting service is $60.

Can I request expedited service for a child’s passport?

Absolutely, you can expedite a child’s passport for a total fee of $160, which includes the regular application fee of $100 and the expedite fee of $60.

What are the passport fees for expediting a passport card?

A U.S. passport card can be expedited for a total fee of $90, which includes the passport book fee of $130 and the expedite fee of $60.

 I need a passport asap – sum up

Emergency and expedited passports are available to some travelers who require urgent international travel. All emergency travel must be supported by documentation depending on your circumstances. This could be a death certificate or a letter from a mortuary or hospital for life-and-death emergencies or a travel itinerary for urgent business travel. Expedited passport applications are handled by appointment and there is no guarantee that you will be qualified for it. However, gathering complete paperwork to prove your travel plans will improve your chances of getting your passport quickly. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.