Who needs a visa to Laos?
Almost every country requires a Laos visa except the following ones:
- South Korea
How to apply for Laos visa?
There are 3 ways to apply for a Laos visa:
- When you arrive at an airport (entry point)
- Apply online for an eVisa
- At the nearest embassy or consulate in your home country
Laos visa application on arrival
Once you arrive at an entry point in Laos you have to provide the following documents in order to apply for a visa on arrival:
- A valid passport
- Evidence of lodging
- Laos visa application form
- Passport size picture
- The visa fee must be paid in cash (in US dollars). Depending on your nationality, the visa fee in Laos ranges from USD 30 to USD 45.
- You must provide proof that you have ample resources to finance your stay
- Verified return or onward flight ticket
After submitting the paperwork, you must wait for the visa to be approved. When it's ready, they'll announce your name within about 15 minutes. A visa will be issued to you for a period of 30 days.
Laos visa online application
As mentioned above, you can also apply for a Laos visa online. What you need to do when applying online is:
- Fill out the online questionnaire through the official website for Laos visa applications
- Submit the necessary documents
- Pay the fee via the web. Depending on your nationality, the fee ranges from USD 31 to USD 45.
- Allow time for your visa application to be processed. If there is an issue with your submission, then it will take more days
If you have been granted the Laos visa then go to the specified migration zone for eVisas once you land at the Laos port of entry. Present your passport as well as the eVisa authorization. After that, the border officials will check them and grant you entry.
Laos visa application at an embassy or consulate
The steps to take if you decide to apply for a Laos visa at an embassy or consulate are:
- Make contact with the embassy or consulate in your area.
- Fill out the online Laos visa application and send it in with the proper documents. A Laos visa application can be found on the embassy or consulate's official website.
- Pay the fee of the visa
Keep in mind that the visa application procedure varies based on where you request the visa, and that is why you should first contact the Laos embassy or consulate.
Laos visa general requirements
Above we have mentioned some of the documents that are required depending on the way you apply for a Laos visa. However, do know that additional documentation may be required depending on other factors.
Either way, here is a list of the general documents that you should have ready when applying for a Laos visa:
- A valid travel document
- Application form of the visa
- At least 2 passport size photos
- Evidence of accommodation
- You must provide proof that you have sufficient financial resources to finance your stay.
- A flight ticket (Return or onward)
- Payment of the visa
- Additional documentation depending on the purpose of your travel
Laos visa types
- Tourist visa – for tourism purposes or leisure activities
- Business visa – granted for the purpose of investing, attending meetings or any other business purposes. Since you can't work for a Lao organization, is not quite the same as a Laos work visa.
- Transit visa – allows you to travel to another country via Laos. Its validity is only 7 days and it can not be extended any further.
- Work visa - allows you to work in Laos. This visa is for visitors and their relatives who wish to work in Laos.
- Media Visa - a visa that allows you to travel across Laos and it is for foreign journalists who are traveling for work.
- Student visa – granted to students who wish to study in Laos for a specific period of time.
- Visa for spouses – as the name suggests, it is granted to spouses of Laos citizens.