Some of us have mixed feelings about TikTok.
On the one hand, TikTok amassed 3B+ downloads since its launch in 2016, receiving a standing ovation from Millenials and Gen Zers.
TikTok’s bite-sized, endless video content also ruins the attention span and makes you glued to your smartphone, sometimes for hours at a time.
Now, regardless of which camp you’re in, TikTok is a HUGE social media platform you can’t miss out on.
That’s why, at Passport-Photo.Online, we’ve decided to compile a roundup of the most recent and eye-popping stats and facts about TikTok.
List of TikTok Statistics, Facts, and Trends
- Top 10 TikTok Stats and Facts to Know in 2022
- Fun TikTok Facts
- About TikTok
- TikTok: User Demographics
- General TikTok Statistics and Facts
- User Behavior on TikTok
- TikTok vs. The Music Industry
- The State of TikTok Influencer Marketing
- TikTok for Business (+Advertising Statistics)
- TikTok FAQ
Top 10 TikTok Stats and Facts to Know in 2022
- TikTok videos are viewed 1B+ times daily.
- TikTok net worth is valued at over $75B as of 2022.
- TikTok has 1B+ active users globally.
- The TikTok app has been downloaded 3B+ times.
- TikTok is the most engaging social media platform, with an average engagement rate of 5.96%.
- Consumer spending on TikTok has surpassed $2.5B worldwide.
- The average user session length on TikTok is 10.85 minutes.
- About 37% of users discovered something on TikTok and immediately went to buy it.
- Nearly 70% of US teens use TikTok at least once a month.
- With $110B+ in user spending, TikTok was the top-grossing non-gaming app worldwide in 2021.
Like this article and want to know more? Check these out:
- 100+ Instagram Stats, Facts, and Trends You Need to Know 
- 35+ Stats on How Social Media Affects Travel 
- Reddit: 60+ Statistics, Facts, and Trends 
- Facebook: 110+ Statistics, Facts, and Trends 
- Pinterest: 95+ Statistics, Facts, and Trends 
Fun TikTok Facts
- It took 200 days to create the original version of TikTok.
- TikTok is known in China as Douyin, which literally means “vibrating sound.”
- Having amassed 200M+ users, TikTok was banned in India in 2020 due to national security issues.
- Justin Bieber held a TikTok Valentine’s Day live stream in February 2021, which drew 4M+ viewers. It was the first full-length single-artist live performance on the platform.
|Most-Followed TikTok Creators (in 2022)||Number of Followers (in Millions)|
- TikTok reached 1M daily views within the first year of development.
- About 20% of people with an income of over $75K have used TikTok.
- The TikTok app was launched in 2016 by ByteDance (a Chinese technology company).
- TikTok went international in September 2017.
- The CEO of TikTok is Shou Zi Chew.
- TikTok supports 75 languages and is available in over 150 markets.
TikTok: User Demographics
|TikTok Users by Year||Users|
- There are 131M+ active TikTok users in the US.
|Country||Number of Active Users (In Millions)|
- About 57% of TikTok global users are women, with men accounting for 43%.
|Age Group||Potential Advertising Reach to Users (In Millions)|
|55 and above||30.5|
- Most content creators on TikTok (53%) are aged 18–25.
- TikTok is the US teenagers’ favorite social media platform (33%), followed by Snapchat (31%) and Instagram (22%).
- TikTok is the most popular social app for kids aged 4–15 worldwide.
General TikTok Statistics and Facts
- About 79% of TikTok’s revenue comes from China, followed by the US (8%) and Turkey (3%).
|TikTok Revenues by Year||Revenue|
- TikTok is the 6th biggest social network globally by the number of monthly active users (1B).
|Social Network||Number of Monthly Active Users (In Millions)|
|Weixin / WeChat||1.263|
- TikTok was the most downloaded mobile app globally in 2021, having generated 740M downloads.
|Year||Number of First-Time TikTok Installs (In Millions)|
- In January 2022, TikTok had ~29.7M daily active users via iOS devices and ~15.54M via Android worldwide.
- In Q4 2021, TikTok reached $824M in total user spending on Google Play and the App Store.
- In Q3 2021, ~91.5M TikTok videos were removed.
|Adult Americans’ Opinion about TikTok||Percentage|
- A little over 70% of users believe the biggest trends start on TikTok.
- Seven in 10 users believe TikTok can inspire culture change.
- Most top-performing TikToks (83.2%) have a video resolution of 720P or higher.
- Over 93% of top-performing videos on TikTok use audio.
|TikTok Is A Source For…||Percentage|
|Discovering something new||49%|
|Learning something new||35%|
- An average of 31% of TikTok users globally mentioned “lifting my spirits” as one of the key three reasons to return to TikTok.
- About 79% of users find TikTok content to be unique or different.
- Roughly 85% of users discover new content they enjoy via TikTok.
- On average, 59% of global TikTok users feel a sense of community when using TikTok.
- Nearly 84% of TikTokers say they come across content on the platform they can relate to.
|What’s Your Favorite Type of Content on TikTok?||Percentage|
- Around 35% of users say they’ve spent less time watching TV or video content on other platforms since joining TikTok.
- Four in 10 Gen Zers say they’ve cut down on podcast listening since they started using TikTok.
- Food is the most engaging industry on TikTok, with an average engagement rate of 15.82%.
|Most Popular TikTok Hashtags (As of January 2022)||Number of Views (In Trillions)|
|Fyp (for you page)||18.57|
- Including up to 10 hashtags in a TikTok post can boost engagement from 5.47% to about 6.41%.
Find out more about social media:
- The Ultimate List of 96+ LinkedIn Statistics and Facts 
- How People Use Instagram and What Brands Can Learn from It
- Scrolling Social Media for Dopamine
- How Dating Profile Photos Affect Your Decision to Swipe Left or Right
User Behavior on TikTok
- In 2021, TikTok users spent ~19.6 hours per month on the platform.
|How Engaged TikTok Users Interact with the Platform||Percentage|
|Watch someone else’s video||68%|
|Like someone else’s video||63%|
|Follow someone else||63%|
|Log in without doing anything||59%|
|Upload a video||55%|
- TikTok inspires action, with 43% of users trying something or going somewhere new after seeing it on the platform.
- About 64% of users say they can be their true selves on TikTok.
- Roughly 56% of TikTok users say they can post videos they wouldn’t post on any other platform.
- Over 92% of users say that after watching a TikTok, they take action, such as liking the content or sharing it with friends, among others.
- Nearly 77% of users say TikTok is a place where people can openly express themselves.
- Seven in 10 users say TikTok is a platform they’d recommend to others.
- An average of 77% of TikTok users say they read the comment section.
TikTok vs. The Music Industry
- Over 66% of people feel TikTok had a significant impact on the music industry.
- About 45% of TikTokers listen to music to share it with others, and 42% do so to support favorite artists.
- Nearly 75% of TikTok users discover new artists through TikTok.
- A full 63% of users say they’ve heard new music on TikTok that they didn’t hear before.
- Around a third of TikTok users mention “watching live streams” as the main reason for using the social network.
- TikTok users often have their own “Heard it on TikTok” moment during their day-to-day lives.
- Over 72% of TikTokers associate certain songs with TikTok.
- Most TikTok users (88%) mention that music is critical to the TikTok experience.
The State of TikTok Influencer Marketing
- COVID-19 produced a significant uptick in TikTok usage, with 87% of content creators using TikTok more since the start of the pandemic.
- Content creators (76%) and marketers (62%) believe TikTok will become a leading social media platform for influencer marketing campaigns.
- About 65% of TikTok influencers post at least once a day. Of these, 35% post multiple times per day.
- Just 39% of TikTok influencers haven’t ever recommended brands, products, or services yet.
- Branded content that comes from creator collaborations boasts a 27% higher Ad recall.
- The most popular content among TikTok influencers is a comedy, with 70% of votes in its favor.
- TikTok influencers consider fashion and beauty the two most successful industries at over 80% each.
- Most influencers (87%) see a greater engagement rate on TikTok compared to any other social media platform.
- About 83% of influencers normally repurpose TikTok content.
- Nearly 87% of marketers believe TikTok influencer marketing is an effective strategy.
- Marketers believe the lifestyle (42%) and beauty (32) sectors have the most potential for success on TikTok.
|Which Industry Has the Most Potential for Success on TikTok||Percentage|
- Most marketers (62%) believe TikTok will soon become a leader in the influencer marketing space.
TikTok for Business (+Advertising Statistics)
|When Brands Feature Songs That TikTokers Like in Their Videos, Users…||Percentage|
|Remember the brand better||68%|
|Are curious to learn about the brand||62%|
|Feel a stronger connection to the brand||58%|
|Are more likely to talk about the brand or share the ad||58%|
- Roughly 61% of TikTok users like brands better when they take part in or start trends on the platform.
- About 21% of TikTokers grow more connected to brands when they comment on their posts.
- A little over 56% of users feel closer to brands they encounter on TikTok.
- A whopping 65% of TikTokers prefer brands to use original sounds in their content.
- Nearly 45% of TikTok users become more connected to brands that teach them something new or share information about themselves.
- Over 63% of users like it when brands show TikTok creators in their videos.
- A full 66% of TikTok users enjoy it when brands sponsor creators to show off their products.
- A whopping 38% of TikTok users convince friends or family members to buy a product they spotted on the platform.
- About 68% of content creators purchased a product after viewing a post from someone they follow on TikTok.
- Collaborating with creators boosts view-through rates for TikTok-specific ads by 193%.
- Nearly 78% of TikTok members say the best brands are ones that work together with users.
- Half of TikTok users follow up to five brands on TikTok, with 29% following between 5–10 brands. The remaining 20% follow 10+ brands on the platform.
- As many as 67% of users say TikTok inspired them to shop even when they weren’t looking to do so.
- About 21% of marketers globally believe Facebook offers the highest return on investment, followed by Instagram (18%), LinkedIn (14%), and TikTok (12%).
Stacking It All Up
There you have it.
A comprehensive list of TikTok statistics and facts to supercharge your knowledge.
Let us know in the comments if there are any other TikTok stats you’d like to see.
What country uses TikTok the most in 2022?
As of 2022, the United States of America is the country with the largest TikTok audience, with ~131M+ active users. It’s followed by Indonesia (92.1M) and Brazil (74.1M).
How many people use TikTok every day in 2022?
In January 2022, TikTok had ~29.7M daily active users via iOS devices and ~15.54M via Android worldwide. That makes the iOS version of TikTok reign supreme.
How much is TikTok worth in 2022?
While there are various, TikTok’s net worth is around $75B as of 2022. That’s a 33% increase compared to the previous year.
Who is the CEO of TikTok in 2022?
The CEO of TikTok is Shou Zi Chew (born in 1983), who’s now leading the operation. He’s from Singapore and is the CFO of its parent company, ByteDance.
How many videos are viewed on TikTok every day in 2022?
When it comes to views, TikTok videos are watched 1B+ times daily.
How many users are there on TikTok in 2022?
TikTok has over 1B monthly active users (MAU) globally worldwide. That’s a 45% increase compared to the previously-reported figure of 689M of MAU in 2020.
How many downloads does TikTok have in 2022?
As of 2022, the TikTok app has been cumulatively downloaded 3B+ times worldwide. That makes it the first app (short of Facebook) to reach that milestone.
How much time do people spend on TikTok in 2022?
The average user session length on TikTok is 10.85 minutes. Interestingly, younger people (aged 4–15) spend an average of 90 minutes daily on the app.
Who has the most followers on TikTok in 2022?
The most-followed TikTok creators in 2022 are Charli D’Amelio, with 139.5M followers. Khaby Lame comes a close second (136.4M), followed by Bella Poarch (89.1M).
What demographic uses TikTok the most in 2022?
About 57% of TikTok global users are women. Men, on the other hand, account for 43%.
How old are people on TikTok?
There are 386.6M+ TikTok users aged 18–24, who make up 43.7% of the platform’s users globally. The second-largest age group is 25–34, which accounts for 282M+ TikTok users.
How much revenue does TikTok generate?
As of 2021, TikTok has generated an estimated $4.6B in revenue. That’s a 142% increase from $1.9B in 2020.
Is TikTok the biggest social media platform in 2022?
TikTok is the 6th most-used social platform in the world, with 1B+ monthly active users (MAU) globally. It ranks behind Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Weixin / WeChat.
How many users did TikTok have in India before it was banned?
Having amassed 200M+ users, TikTok was banned in India in 2020 due to national security issues.
When did TikTok come out?
The TikTok app was launched in September 2016 by ByteDance (a Chinese technology company). As of 2022, TikTok is available in over 150 markets and supports 75 languages.
Fair Use Statement
Did you like our infographics? If so, feel free to share them with your audience. Just remember to mention the source and link back to this page.
- Atkinson K., “Justin Bieber Broke Hearts & Records With His Valentine’s Day TikTok Livestream”
- Bursztynsky J., “TikTok Says 1 Billion People Use the App Each Month”
- Canales K., “Meet Shou Zi Chew, TikTok’s 39-Year-Old CEO Who Got His Start at Facebook and Led a Chinese Smartphone Giant through One of the Biggest Tech Ipos in History”
- Chakravarti A., “A Year since TikTok Ban, Indian Tiktokers Narrate How Their Lives Were Impacted”
- Cucu E., “[STUDY] 2022 Social Media Industry Benchmarks – Know Exactly Where You Stand in Your Market”
- Curry D., “TikTok App Report 2022”
- D’Souza D., “What Is TikTok?”
- Davis M., “TikTok Is Bad for Your Brain: Constant Social Media Streaming Narrows Collective Attention Span, Adversely Affects Mental Health”
- Digital Information World, “New Study: 2022 TikTok Engagement Benchmarks – How TikTok’s Growth Has Impacted Other Networks’ Engagement?”
- Graziani T., “The 3 Phases of Tik Tok’s Growth That Made It China’s Top Short-Video App”
- Hashem H., “Who Has the Most Followers on TikTok? Top 5 Stars”
- Insider Intelligence, “More Gen Zers Now Use TikTok than Instagram in the US”
- Moran S., “How TikTok Is Changing the Music Industry’s Tune”
- Pew Research Center, “Use of Online Platforms by Demographic Group”
- Qustodio, “Annual Report on Children’s Digital Habits”
- Sensor Tower, “TikTok Becomes the First Non-Facebook Mobile App to Reach 3 Billion Downloads Globally”
- Sensor Tower, “Top Grossing Apps Worldwide for February 2021”
- SocialPubli, “The State of TikTok Influencer Marketing 2021”
- Statista, “Most Popular Mobile Social Networking Apps in the United States as of September 2019, by Average Session Duration”
- Statista, “Share of Adults in the United States Who Have a Favorable Opinion of TikTok as of November 2021”
- Statista, “TikTok- Statistics & Facts”
- TikTok, “Creative Best Practices: What TikTok’s Top-Performing Ads Have in Common”
- TikTok, “New Studies Quantify TikTok’s Growing Impact on Culture and Music”
- TikTok, “Nielsen Study Shows TikTok Ideal Place for “Discovery,” Content More “Authentic””
- TikTok, “TikTok What’s Next Report 2022”
- TikTok, “TikTok’s Unique Path to Purchase”
- TikTok, “Time Well Spent: Users on TikTok Stay Longer, Engage Often & Feel Happier”
- TikTok, “What’s Next: Your new creative dream team”
- Wise J., “How Much Is TikTok Worth in 2022? Here’s the Latest Data”
- Wikipedia, “TikTok”
Max Woolf is a writer and travel lover at Passport Photo Online. His insights, advice, and commentary have been featured in Forbes, Inc., Business Insider, Fast Company, Entrepreneur, BBC, MSN, NBC, Yahoo, USA Today, Fox News, AOL, The Ladders, TechRepublic, Reader’s Digest, Glassdoor, Stanford, G2, and 300+ other outlets.