Lost Mexican Passport in the US – What to Do

Lost Mexican Passport in the US
As seen on:

As much as we always try to avoid it, sometimes our passport gets lost or stolen in another country. It might be an inconvenience, but, usually, the steps to reporting and replacing your lost or stolen passport are generally quite straightforward. Your country’s offices abroad can guide you through the procedure.

If you are in this situation, read this article, we will explain everything you need to do in case of a lost Mexican passport in the US.

Passport photo in 3s!

Take a photo with your smartphone, upload it to the website, we will convert it to an official passport photo and send you a digital or printed version. Simple? You can’t get more convenient than that!

passport photo editor

How to report a lost Mexican passport in the US

To avoid the risk of identity theft, you should report your missing passport to the local authorities as soon as possible. Just go to the nearest police station and report what happened. The officers will ask you a few questions about the circumstances and file a report.

They should provide you with a copy of the report; however if you are not given one, make sure to ask for it as you’ll need it for the next steps. After leaving the police station, you should head to the nearest Mexican Embassy or Consulate. The Mexican Government has a total of 50 (fifty) consular offices providing citizenship and immigration services in the US, one in every major city.

Report the stolen or lost passport to the Embassy or Consulate, so that they can officially cancel it, protecting your sensitive information. After this, you need to apply for a new passport to be able to travel again.

If you were to find your Mexican passport after reporting it lost or stolen, you have to turn it in to the Embassy or Consulate abroad. It will no longer be valid after being canceled.

Related readings:

How to replace a lost Mexican passport in the US

After filling out the lost or stolen form, you can apply for your new passport as you would normally do in the US.

Book an appointment through MEXITEL and gather the supporting documents you need for the application.

To release official travel documents, the Mexican Consulate will require:

  • Form OP-5;
  • your birth certificate;
  • the police report for the lost or stolen passport;
  • a valid photo ID;
  • 2 (two) 3.5 x 4.5 cm passport photos;
  • payment for the fees.

If it’s possible to provide, a photocopy of the passport biographic page can definitely help in confirming your identity.

You can download the application form from the Consulate’s website, however, it will be provided to you when you apply. If the applicant is a minor, both parents need to be present and sign Form OP-5. If one or both cannot attend, they’ll need to sign a parental consent form.

For a 3 (three) year passport, you’ll have to pay $74, for a 6 (six) year passport the fee is $101. For Mexican citizens of 60 years of age or older, the fees are reduced by 50%.

The indicated processing times for a new Mexican passport are between 1 (one) and 4 (four) weeks. However, it’s common for the document to be released in less than a week or even on the same day.

Passport Photo Online

If you need to take a passport photo for your application, use Passport Photo Online. With our app, you can take perfect professional pictures just using a smartphone.

The AI system will clear the background and examine your photos according to the official requirements. If the app approves your picture, you can be sure that it will be accepted by the authorities.

Download the file right away or have the printouts shipped to you. Either way, you’ll save up to 40% on standard passport photo prices!

Prepare for your application with Passport Photo Online and travel back home or wherever you like!

Lost Mexican passport in the US: FAQ

To make sure all the details are clear, we will answer a few of the most common questions about lost Mexican passports in the United States.

How do I report a lost Mexican passport?

Head to the local police station and file a report as soon as possible. After you are done, find the nearest Mexican Consulate abroad and report to them as well.

Who should you turn in a lost Mexican passport to?

Lost or stolen passports should be turned in to the nearest Mexican Embassy or Consulate. You should do the same both for an expired or valid passport.

What happens if I lose my Mexican passport in the US?

The first thing you have to do is report it to the police. After that, head to the local Embassy or Consulate and report to them as well. Then, you can apply for a new passport at the same office.

What is the cost to replace a lost Mexican passport?

Replacing lost or stolen passports costs $74 for a 3 (three) year passport and $101 for a 6 (six) year passport. The costs are halved for applicants above the age of 60 (sixty).

Lost Mexican passport in the US- conclusions

The procedure to follow in case you lose your Mexican passport in the United States is quite straightforward. You only need to act as soon as you realize it’s missing.

First of all, you need to report it to the police to avoid any risk of identity theft. Then go to the local Mexican Embassy or Consulate and complete a lost or stolen passport form. Once you are done, you can apply for a new document following the standard procedure.

To take the photos, you need a 100% guarantee of acceptance by the authorities, and the best way to do this is trust Passport Photo Online to handle your document photos.


Rate my article:

Average rating 4.8 / 5. Vote count: 24

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.