While enjoying your stay in the US, you suddenly realize that your Polish passport is about to expire. What do you do? Where do you start? What documents will renewing a Polish passport require, and how much time will it take? How much money do you need for the renewal fee?
If those questions (and many others) are crossing your mind all at once, read on to find out how to renew your Polish passport while in the US.
Renewing a Polish passport in the US
To renew your Polish passport in the US, visit any Polish consular office in the United States. You will collect your new passport in the same office where you applied for it. There is no option to send your passport via postal service.
The consular offices of the Republic of Poland in the US are:
- the Consular Section of the Embassy of Poland in Washington (for Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, American Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas).
- the Consulate General in Chicago (for Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin)
- the Consulate General in Houston (for Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas).
- the Consulate General in Los Angeles (for Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming).
- the Consulate General in New York (for Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont).
For identification purposes, you are also required to apply in person. To make sure a clerk is available at the time of your application, reserve an appointment using the e-konsulat booking system.
Bring your old passport, even if it has expired. Other required documents include the following:
- a passport application form, available at the consular office
- a passport photo (35 mm x 45 mm, or 1.38” x 1.77”)
Additionally, you might be asked to submit:
- a copy of your Polish birth certificate if you do not have a PESEL number
- a copy of your Polish marriage certificate (if you do not have a PESEL and you got married; this applies to both men and women, regardless of whether they changed their family name upon marriage).
If you asked for a reduction of the passport fee, have a document to prove that you are eligible for a reduction (such as a student card).
If the above-mentioned documents do not suffice to determine your identity and citizenship, the consul may ask you for more information in the form of a proof of Polish citizenship, or a foreign identity document.
The regular Polish passport renewal fee is $135 with 50% reductions applied to:
- disabled persons
- disability pensioners
- people on benefits from social services (low income benefits, Emergency Food Assistance Program)
- those who receive a permanent benefit from the social service
- people staying in nursing homes
- war veterans
- persons having the Large Family Card.
The fee is also reduced in case you renew your passport due to a change in your surname or because you ran out of space for new visas or border stamps in the current one.
Your passport will be renewed for free if:
- you are over the age of 70
- you live in a care facility such as a nursing home and you are in the US for treatment or surgery
- you are on social benefits and you are in the US for treatment or surgery
- your passport has a technical issue
You are required to pay the renewal fee at the time of submitting your application.
How long will it take to renew your Polish passport in the US?
Upon applying, you will receive an estimated collection time from the officer at the consulate, written on the application receipt (it also has a tracking number). If you need to travel urgently, consider applying for a temporary passport, for which the processing times are much shorter.
Passport nearing its expiry date? Get ahead of the game and up to speed by reading:
- How the Italian Passport Renewal Process Works in the US
- Italian Passport Renewal in NYC: A Step-by-Step Guide
- German Passport Renewal in the US- How Does It Work?
- Turkish Passport Renewal in the US – How to Apply
- How to Renew Your Expired British Passport in the US
- How to Renew a Ukrainian Passport in the USA
- Mexican Passport Renewal in the US: Your Step-by-Step Guide
How to collect your renewed Polish passport?
You need to collect your renewed passport in person in the same office where you applied for it. Do not forget to bring your old passport with you, even if it is expired; it will be cancelled (except for valid visas) and returned to you.
Polish passport renewal in the US with a perfect passport photo
To make the process of renewing your Polish passport in the US easier, have your passport photo taken using Passport Photo Online. Just upload your picture and give our AI-assisted algorithm 3 seconds to check its adherence to the official guidelines, delete and replace the background with a plain white one, and trim it to the right dimensions.
Your passport picture is ready to be downloaded, printed, and submitted with your passport renewal application. And it has a 100% chance of being accepted at the consulate. All this in the blink of an eye, without having to visit a photo booth or a photographer’s studio!
Renewing a Polish passport in the US- summary
In order to renew your Polish passport while in the US, you must visit one of the Polish consular offices in the US. Bring a fresh passport photo, as well as your supporting documents, if needed.
Fill in a passport application, pay the renewal fee and be patient: your passport will be ready in no time, allowing you to continue your travels within the US and abroad. As for that passport picture, we recommend using Passport Photo Online for the best results!
Polish passport renewal in the US – FAQ
Where can I renew my Polish passport in the US?
You can renew your Polish passport in any Polish consular office in the US. The consular offices are located in Houston, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
Can I renew my Polish passport online?
Unfortunately, no. For identification purposes, you are required to apply for your passport and collect it in person.
What do I need to renew my Polish passport in the US?
The required documents consist of a passport application form, your old passport, and a new passport photo. Depending on the case, a copy of your Polish birth certificate or a copy of your marriage certificate may be needed. You might be required to submit more documents by the consular officer. You will also need to pay a renewal fee of $135, unless you can prove you are eligible for a fee reduction.
Born in Poland and living in Japan, Jagna obtained a Master’s Degree in Japanese Studies and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. Having worked as an editor for various scientific journals, Jagna specializes in Machine Ethics, with a focus on ethical issues surrounding biometric photography.