U.S. Passport Applications: Types and Documents

U.S. Passport Applications – Types and Documents

Depending on your passport situation, U.S. passport applicants must pay attention to the form they are using. Different passport forms will be used for adults, minors, and yet another one for data change.

There are 3 most commonly used application forms when applying for a U.S. passport, and they are:

  • Form DS-11
  • Form DS-82
  • Form DS-5504.

In the paragraphs below, we will explain in detail what these forms represent and what documents U.S. citizens must submit with each of the above passport applications. Also, we will provide some useful tips and information on completing each form.

Form DS-11: adults

Form DS-11 is meant for first-time applicants, children under 16 (sixteen), or those applicants who don’t meet the requirements for a passport renewal by mail.

To make sure your DS-11 passport application is complete, prepare the following documents to include with it:

  • proof of citizenship (original or certified copy);
  • a photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document;
  • a valid government-issued photo ID;
  • a photocopy of the government ID;
  • 1 (one) 2” x 2” passport photo.

Note: To complete form DS-11, applicants must provide certain information. Check out how to fill out Form DS-11 without a hassle.

Passport applicants will also have to provide the appropriate passport application fee, payable via check or money order to the U.S. Department of State:

  • passport book – $130
  • passport card – $30
  • execution fee – $35
  • 1 (one) to 2 (two) day delivery (optional) – $18.32
  • expedited service (optional) – $60.

Once you have completed your passport package, you’ll have to submit it in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility; usually, this will be a post office, and sometimes a library. You can find your local acceptance facility on the U.S. State Department website. Before you head over to the passport facility, make sure to call them and find out if an appointment is required.In case of urgent travel or emergency passports, you have to set an appointment date with a passport agency, and on top of all the other documents listed above, you will also be required to provide proof of your emergency. Check out more information on emergency passports.

Form DS-11: children under 16 years of age

When applying for a passport for a child who is younger than 16 (sixteen), apart from a completed DS-11 form, the following supporting documents will have to be presented:

  • proof of the child’s U.S. citizenship along with a photocopy;
  • parental relationship;
  • the parent’s or guardian’s valid government-issued photo ID with a photocopy;
  • parental consent*;
  • 1 (one) 2” x 2” passport photo**.

You will also have to pay the adequate fees to the U.S. Department of State (via check or money order), which in this case are as follows:

  • passport book- $100
  • passport card – $15
  • execution fee – $35
  • 1 (one) to 2 (two) day delivery (optional) – $18.32
  • expedited service (optional) – $60.

*Ideally, both parents or guardians should be present to apply for the child’s passport. Consider cases when only one parent can attend.

**The requirements for baby passport photos differ slightly from adult ones. Check out Passport Photo Online’s easy-to-read guide and get your children’s passport pictures in no time.

Form DS-82: adult renewals

Another common way to apply for a passport is by submitting Form DS-82 or the renewal application. The best thing about this application form is that once completed and paired with all the supporting documents, it can be mailed directly to the National Passport Processing Center.

Recently, U.S. embassies and consulates have introduced passport renewals via mail as well; now, U.S. citizens residing abroad can mail their renewal applications to their closest embassy or consulate.

Take a look at what you must prepare for this passport application, besides Form DS-82:

  • your most recent passport;
  • name change documents (if any);
  • 1 (one) 2” x 2” passport photo;

Apart from the above, you will have to cover the passport application fee:

  • passport book – $130
  • passport card – $30
  • 1 (one) to 2 (two) day delivery (optional) – $18.32
  • expedited service* (optional) – $60.

*If you wish to expedite your passport application process, make sure to write the word “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope.

Form DS-5504: name change or error correction

This is a passport form that many holders of U.S. citizenship probably haven’t heard of. It’s meant for applicants who wish to request a name change or make a data correction on their current passport (issued less than a year ago), or those applying to replace a limited-validity passport (issued less than a year ago). This is another form that can be submitted by mail and doesn’t require a personal appearance.

If you wish to correct a printing or data error, apart from a completed Form DS-5504, you must provide:

  • your most recent passport;
  • proof of the error, such as incorrect spelling of your name or the wrong gender marker;
  • 1 (one) passport photo.

In case of a name change, submit the following documents:

  • your most recent passport;
  • your original/certified name change document (marriage certificate, court order, or divorce decree);
  • 1 (one) passport photo.

If you’re applying to replace a limited-validity passport, you will need to submit these items:

  • your current, limited passport;
  • 1 (one) passport photo;
  • your naturalization certificate (if applicable).

In each of the above cases, you won’t have to pay a passport fee. However, if you wish to speed up the process, you can do so by requesting expedited service ($60) and/or 1 (one) to 2 (two) day delivery ($18.32).

Important note: for each passport application form, individuals must provide contact information to a person of their choice in case of an emergency. Moreover, every applicant must swear that all details included in their documents are truthful and correct.

A very important part of your application form—passport photos

Applicants can fill out all forms mentioned above at home; what if we told you that you could do the same with your U.S. passport photos?

Instead of visiting photography studios or searching for the nearest drugstore, we would like to present you with a solution that saves you time and energy. On top of that, your passport pictures will be ready in 3 seconds. Let us make your passport application easier with Passport Photo Online.

Passport Photo Online is one of those convenient photo services which makes taking ID and document photos seem like a piece of cake. The only things you need are a camera/smartphone and good lighting—the app will take care of the rest for you. Our photo tool’s features include: 

  • removing minor shadows and red eyes; 
  • replacing the background with a plain white one; 
  • cropping and adjusting the photo to the correct measurements.

Moreover, we guarantee 100% compliance with the Department of State requirements. Check our photo editor tool on your computer or download our app for Android or iOS. Get your compliant passport photos conveniently from home within seconds! And in rare cases of rejection, we provide a 200% money refund.

What do I need for my passport application: FAQ

This section will provide you with answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding passport application forms and required documents.

What forms do I need for a passport?

It depends. Choose your passport form according to your situation:

– Form DS-11 if you’re applying for a passport first time, or applying for a child’s passport;
– Form DS-82 if you’re renewing your adult passport;
– Form DS-5504 if you wish to change or correct information on your passport.

Where can I get a passport form?

Passport application forms can be picked up at any U.S. Post Office, County Clerk’s office, or any U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. They can also be downloaded on the U.S. State Department website.


While different U.S. passport applications call for different supporting documents, there are some aspects they all share, such as the submission of a compliant passport picture. Before applying, make sure you have chosen the right form suitable for your situation.

As for the picture—try Passport Photo Online to get professional passport photos quickly and conveniently from home. Our app’s built-in AI system and human photo experts will make sure that your passport pic meets all the government requirements and gets accepted by the U.S. Department of State.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *