As seen in
How does our photo tool work?
Take or upload photo
Take a photo or upload one from your mobile gallery. Follow our guidelines to meet all the requirements.
Get your photo verified
Let AI fine-tune your photo. Order your picture, and have it verified by an expert to ensure 100% compliance.
Enjoy your photo
Download your digital photo instantly, or have your printouts delivered to your doorstep for free!
Karolina is a seasoned legal expert with a Master of Law and legal advisor credentials, specializing in passport photo compliance. She ensures adherence to international standards set by entities like the US Department of State and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Equipped with her advocate license and extensive legal background, she brings a unique blend of legal acumen and technical knowledge. Her expertise is pivotal in navigating the intricate and rigorous standards set by key global authorities. Her approach, marked by meticulous attention to detail and a deep understanding of international law, ensures stringent adherence to the evolving passport and visa photo regulations worldwide.
AU Driver’s Licence Photo—All You Need to Know
As a rule of thumb, pictures for an Australian driver’s licence must comply with the same requirements as Australian passport photos. Not sure what they are? No worries—
Read on to understand precisely what a photo for your AU driver’s licence should look like!
Australian driver’s licence photo—requirements
Study these official requirements for Australian driver’s licence photos to avoid submitting an unacceptable picture.
Between 35–40 mm in width and 45–50 mm in height
Head height (from chin to crown) should be between 32 mm and 36 mm
|Must be in colour
|Taken in the last 6 months
|Clear image of your face, not blurry, grainy, or pixelated. No red-eye effect is allowed
|Do not use filters commonly used on social media. The image must reflect your natural skin tones
|Plain white or light-grey background without shadows, texture, or other objects visible
|Printed on glossy photo-quality paper
|Do not digitally change the photo. Red-eye removal is also unacceptable
Important! The Australian government uses a Facial Recognition System to analyse your submitted photo by checking an individual’s biometric facial features (e.g., the distance between your eyes). For that reason, your driver’s licence photo must be recent. Now—
Even if you took your picture less than 6 months ago, but your appearance has changed significantly (e.g., you lost weight), you need to take a new photo.
AU driver’s licence photo—additional guidelines
Australian driver’s licence pictures must follow not only the above-mentioned technical requirements but also additional guidelines to get the green light from the acceptance facility. Here’s a list of those rules:
- Facial expression. Don’t smile or frown. Keep a neutral expression
- Pose. Keep your eyes open and mouth closed. Face the camera directly
- Clothing. Wear your normal clothes, but opt for darker colours that won’t blend with the background
- Facial hair. Keep your beard as is if you normally wear it
- Head covering. Wearing headgear (hats, hair bands, etc.) is strictly prohibited. You can cover your head only for religious or medical reasons. In that case, the headgear must be plain and without any patterns
- Glasses. You can wear glasses, but only if you provide a signed medical statement. It’s best to take glasses off
- Jewellery. You’re allowed to wear jewellery as long as it doesn’t obstruct your face. Facial piercings, such as nose rings, aren’t strictly prohibited, but it’s best to remove them
- Hair. Your whole face must be clearly visible. Consider tucking your hair behind the ears and tying longer bangs with hairpins. If you wear your hair in a bun (or your hair is naturally voluminous), it’s acceptable for it not to be fully in the frame
How to take a good driver’s licence photo
Taking biometric photos for a driver’s licence can be a quick and easy job you can do yourself from home! All you need is your smartphone or a digital camera and a professional app that will ensure your image meets official standards.
Here’s how to get your own AU driver’s licence photo with our service:
- Take a photo following the abovementioned guidelines or the on-screen tips if you prefer to use our Passport Photo Booth App for iOS or Passport Photo Maker App for Android.
- Upload your image online. The AI and biometric photo experts will verify it against Queensland’s official requirements to ensure 100% compliance.
- Download a digital image or order printed photos—delivered anywhere in Australia within 3 business days!
Want to take a driver’s licence photo yourself? We’ve got a handy cheat sheet of the most common mistakes you should avoid!
Most common mistakes to avoid:
- Poor quality of the photo (blurry, under or over-exposed)
- Unacceptable background (dark or not one solid colour)
- Looking sideways or tilting your head
- Wearing glasses without a medical condition and a signed doctor’s statement
- Wearing headgear that obscures your face
- Shadows present in the photo
- Hair covering parts of your face
- Having your eyes partially closed
If you’re not sure whether your photo meets the requirements, let our biometric photo experts verify it for you!
How to prepare yourself?
Distance from the camera
Take the photo from a distance of about 20 inches from your face. Ideally, the photo should be taken by another person.
Face in front of the camera
Place your face in front of the lens and keep a neutral expression on your face. Hold the camera at face height.
Just stand facing a light source such as an exposed window. Don't worry about the background.
Are You Satisfied With Our Service?
Let us know how we’re doing.
Customer feedback is always welcome.
Rate Your Reading Experience:
Number of votes: 229