As seen in
How does our photo tool work?
Take or upload photo
Take a photo or upload one from your mobile gallery. Follow our guidelines to meet all the requirements.
Get your photo verified
Let AI fine-tune your photo. Order your picture, and have it verified by an expert to ensure 100% compliance.
Enjoy your photo
Download your digital photo instantly, or have your printouts delivered to your doorstep for free!
Matt is a seasoned passport photo specialist with an impressive record of over 200,000 passport photos under his review. He demonstrates exceptional attention to detail, and is well-versed in global government regulations and specifications for passport photography, making him a trusted expert in ensuring that customers' photos meet the highest standards. His expertise and commitment to quality have made him a core member of our expert team.
Passport Photos at the Post Office
Are you looking for the perfect place to make and print the photo for your new Australian passport? Don’t worry, we got you covered: Australian Post Office is one of the places to take passport photos! However, we will also show you how to take a passport photo at home using only your phone in case you cannot visit a post office.
Australian passport photo requirements
To be accepted by Australian authorities, passport photos must follow certain requirements. If you don’t pay attention to guidelines posted on the Australian government website your passport photo will be rejected and you will be forced to take more photos, wasting money and, more importantly, your time. To avoid this situation read the following official requirements carefully:
- The two photos must be identical, recent (they can be a maximum of six months old) and must be printed on good quality colour paper
- The image has to be clear, no retouching or editing allowed
- Your face should stand out against the background, which should be white or light gray
- Your face must be centred and you should look straight into the camera (be careful not to have ‘red eyes’) and not tilted in any direction. Keep the air off your face, so that the edges of your face can be fully visible
- The lighting should be even (so shadows or reflections are not accepted), with appropriate brightness and be careful to show your natural skin tone
- It is best to show a neutral expression (not smiling, laughing or frowning), your eyes should be open and mouth closed
- Head coverings are permitted only for religious reasons, but they must be plain-coloured, not patterned and they have to be worn in a way that shows your face from forehead to chin. Any other type of head covering, such as hats, caps or headbands, is not allowed in the photo.
- You can wear jewelry only if it does not cover or obscure your face: the area around your eyes, mouth and nose must be perfectly visible. There can’t also be any reflection in the passport photo from rings or earrings.
- Glasses are allowed for medical reasons, upon presentation of a medical certificate signed by a doctor (complete with details of the said doctor and the medical practice), saying why they cannot be removed. In this case, glasses can’t obscure your eyes and there can’t be any reflection from the lenses. Sunglasses cannot be worn under any circumstances..
- You can wear makeup as long as it is not too heavy. It is important that makeup doesn’t cover up your facial features in the photo, so be sure to choose a light and natural makeup.
Before applying, remember to check carefully if your photos meet all the official requirements: it is in fact very easy to make some mistakes or forget small details and the number of passport photos that are rejected by Australian authorities is really high.
How to get a passport photo at the Post office?
Australia Post Office is one of the places in Australia that allows you to take and print photos for official documents. Not all Australian Post offices offer this service on site though, so before you visit one of the offices you should check if it offers this service or if you need to find an alternative store to obtain a perfect passport photo. On their website you can actually find a list of stores that take ID and passport photos in the office.
Getting your passport photo at one of the Australia Post Offices is pretty simple: you can go to the store anytime you want without any reservations and you will have your photo taken and ready for you in minutes.
Post office passport photo size
The Australian Post Office offers to take and print photos that perfectly meet official requirements. The photos you receive will have the dimensions required by Australian authorities, which are as follows:
- Width: 35mm - 40mm
- Height: 45mm - 50mm
- Size of the face from chin to crown: 32mm - 36mm
Once you have your printed passport photos in your hands, you no longer have to worry about making sure that the photos perfectly meet the requirements we have detailed in the previous paragraph.
However, if for any reason the Australian authorities don’t accept your passport photographs because apparently there are some mistakes or wrong proportions, Australian Post Office will make another set of photographs for you, without any additional charges. Please note that Australian authorities will not accept passport photos that are more than six months old, even if they perfectly match the size and colour requirements.
Australian Post Office passport photo cost
For only A$ 19.95 you will receive a set of biometric passport photos, printed out in colour on high quality paper, with the guarantee that the photos follow the official requirements from the Australian Government and International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). You can choose to pay either with cash or by card, via Mastercard, Visa or EFTPOS.
For free you will also receive a digital copy of your passport photos, which you can print whenever you need them. You have two ways to get the digital passport photo: you can choose to receive it on your email address or you can save it in Digital ID, an app for digital identification.
How to take an Australia passport photo at home
Are you looking for a way to save money and avoid lines and waits? Do you prefer to take your passport photo at home without visiting any professional photographer studio or any store? Then we have the perfect solution for you: try taking your passport photos with our online photo booth Passport Photo Online.
With our application for computers and mobile phones you don’t even have to be a good photographer or have a professional camera, all you need is your smartphone’s camera! With our digital photobooth you will have two options:
- for A$ 9,95 you can download the digital version of your Australian passport photo, ready to be printed in any printing store near you
- in addition to the digital version, for A$ 14,95 you will receive at your home address in 72 hours also the paper version of your passport photo, printed out in quality paper.
Our photo tool will help you obtain the best passport photos for your new Australian passport in just a matter of minutes without moving, no matter where you are. The different photo tools that you’ll find on the application will make your life easier, just give it a try and you will see we're right.
Below we have listed only the most significant features that you can use when taking your Australian passport photo.
When you upload your photo, Passport Photo Online will check if it conforms to the required size and dimensions. You won’t have to worry about width, height and distance from chin to crown anymore, the app will do it for you and it will convert the photo to passport size.
Do you want to take your passport photos at home, but you have recently redecorated and repainted the walls of your home with bright colours and very eccentric pictures? No problem!
Our background remover tool will solve the problem for you. This editing tool will change your passport photo background according to the official requirements, so in this case it will replace the original background of your photo with a plain white or light grey background in just a second.
Passport photo checker
After you upload your photo, Passport Photo Online will check whether it has been correctly taken and whether it meets all the official requirements, listed in the Australian government website. When taking any official document photo, you clearly need to stick to basic guidelines, such as looking straight into the camera, not tilting your head in any direction and tucking your hair behind the ears to clearly and fully show your facial features.
Any other aspect - for example background color and photo size - will be automatically checked and fixed by Artificial Intelligence. Once the photo is deemed compliant with the official requirements, the application will create a passport photo template, ready to be downloaded or printed.
So what are you waiting for? Try out Passport Photo Online today and get as many goes at taking an Australian passport photo as you need, with a guaranteed acceptance! Download the passport photo app for iOS from the AppStore or Android passport photo app from the Google Play Store or and you are ready to go!
How to prepare yourself?
Distance from the camera
Take the photo from a distance of about 20 inches from your face. Ideally, the photo should be taken by another person.
Face in front of the camera
Place your face in front of the lens and keep a neutral expression on your face. Hold the camera at face height.
Just stand facing a light source such as an exposed window. Don't worry about the background.
Are You Satisfied With Our Service?
Let us know how we’re doing.
Customer feedback is always welcome.
Rate Your Reading Experience:
Number of votes: 142