U.S. Passport For a Child of a Naturalized Citizen – A How-To Guide

U.S. Passport For a Child of a Naturalized Citizen—A How-To Guide

Are you a naturalized U.S. citizen parent, looking to apply for passports for your children? What forms should you complete? How do you prove their U.S. citizenship?

In this guide, you will learn how to apply for a U.S. passport for a child of a naturalized citizen. We’ll lead you through the process and explain everything you need to know about the children’s passport applications.

Passport for a child of a naturalized U.S. citizen – the first step

The first thing you need to know is that you are required to prove that your child is a U.S. citizen. Such evidence is a crucial step on your way to completing their passport application. It is also one of the key passport application requirements.

According to section 320 of the Child Citizenship Act, children of U.S. citizens who are aged 18 or under will acquire U.S. citizenship if:

  • at least one of their legal guardians is a naturalized or a born U.S. citizen;
  • the child is a lawful permanent resident;
  • they reside in the country under legal and physical custody of a parent who is a U.S. citizen;
  • their adoption decree has been fully and legally completed and recognized by the local U.S. state government (where applicable).

If your child acquired citizenship due to Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, taking care of their passport will be easier. You won’t need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship ahead of receiving your U.S. passport.

If, however, the child or the citizen parent resides outside U.S. borders, you will only be able to apply for a passport for the minor after receiving the citizenship certificate.

Applying for the U.S. citizenship certificate

To begin the passport application process, you first need to take care of the U.S. citizenship certificate with an N-600 form.

You can download the form from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

The application will require you to write down or give personal information about the child and their parents and pay a fee of $1,170.

Moreover, if the child is over 18 years old, they need to sign the N-600 form themselves.

Other key items for the N-600 form include:

  • 2 (two) valid passport photos;
  • a copy of the child’s birth certificate;
  • evidence of parent’s U.S. citizenship (e.g., naturalization certificate/passport);
  • proof that the child lives or has lived with you (a custody order/welfare statements);
  • proof of parental relationship (the child’s birth certificate/an adoption decree/marriage certificate).

Once you’ve got everything you need, send these documents to the local USCIS facilities. Once your citizenship certificate arrives, you may begin applying for a passport. The certificate will find its way to you in about 6 (six) months.

The USCIS addresses you might be interested in include:

  • W Houston St Entrance, 201 Varick St Ste 1023, New York, 10014;
  • 3747 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90016;
  • 101 W Ida B. Wells Dr, Chicago, IL 60605.

Looking for more tips for your passport application? Look no further:

Applying for a U.S. passport – the second step

Applying for your child’s passport will require you to fill out form DS-11, which can be downloaded from a government website.

Once you have that covered and the form is completed, make your way to the local passport acceptance facility or any other place offering passport services. A USPS facility, for instance, will do.

If you have a Certificate of Citizenship for your child, be sure to bring the document with you.

If not, you will need a paper confirming the child’s derived citizenship, such as:

  • a copy of your child’s birth certificate
  • a copy of their Permanent Resident Card
  • one of the parents’ passports or naturalization certificates.

Other items needed to complete your child’s passport application include the parents’ government-issued IDs, such as a driver’s license or their citizenship certificate.

Getting a passport for a minor U.S. citizen will also call for a single passport photo and a passport fee. The passport application fee can go as high as $135 and as low as $150.

Passport Photo Online – amazing child passport style pictures

If you wish to apply for a U.S. passport or Certificate of Citizenship for your child, you will need a perfect U.S. passport photo. Passport Photo Online is a great choice. It is a tool available on a website, and downloadable to Android and iOS smartphones.

The app will turn your phone into a professional photo studio, open 24/7, and always ready to produce valid passport pictures in a matter of 3 (three) seconds.

You can take as many photos as you like and choose the one you want to be edited for your child’s passport. For just $6.95, you’ll receive an image with the correct background and no shadows, guaranteed to be accepted at the passport office.

You can also grab a free passport photo template and print your photos for less than $1.

If the photo you receive gets rejected, we’ll give you a 200% refund.

Passport application for a minor child of naturalized U.S.citizen – summary

To apply for a passport for the child of a naturalized U.S. citizen, you first need to check if you need to apply for a citizenship certificate.

According to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, to qualify as a U.S. citizen, your child must have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen or be under the custody of an American guardian.

The child must also have been admitted to the country as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence.

If the child doesn’t meet all the requirements, you will need to apply to USCIS for the Certificate of Citizenship with form N-600 before beginning the passport application process.

U.S. passport for a child of a naturalized citizen – FAQ

Here’s where you will find the most commonly asked questions about U.S. passports for children of naturalized American citizens.

How to apply for a U.S. passport for the child of a naturalized U.S. citizen?

Before applying for a passport, you need to find out if the child acquires derived citizenship or not. This will allow them to begin the passport application process immediately. It includes checking if the child’s under legal and physical custody of at least one U.S. citizen and, if they’re a lawful permanent resident, legally admitted into the U.S.

If the child doesn’t meet the requirements for derived citizenship, they need to first acquire a certificate of citizenship from USCIS by filing form N-600. Only after they get the certificate can they apply for a passport using form DS-11.

Can my child get a U.S. passport without a certificate of citizenship?

Yes, your child can get a passport without obtaining a certificate of citizenship. They will automatically become U.S. citizens if:
– at least one parent is a U.S. citizen by birth of through naturalization;
– the child is younger than 18 (eighteen) years of age;
– the child is under legal and physical custody of a U.S. citizen parent;
– the minor has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence.
If the child meets all of those requirements, they will be able to acquire a passport without the need for a certificate of citizenship.

How do I get U.S. citizenship for my child?

If you need a certificate of citizenship before you apply for your child’s passport you ought to find form N-600 on the USCIS website and fill it out.

If your child is no longer a minor, meaning they are 18 years old, they will need to sign the form themselves.

You will need to send the form, along with 2 (two) passport style photos, copies of your child’s birth certificate and permanent resident card. You will have to attach proof of one of the parents’ U.S. citizenship and proof that the child is under your legal and physical custody.

You send an envelope containing those documents and pay a $1,170 fee to the USCIS. Once that is done, your child will get their certificate of citizenship after a period of 6 (six) months.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *